Saturday, February 21, 2009

Weight loss and Getting Healthy

I have been trying to get back in shape and maybe lose a few pounds along the way. I have set a few fitness goals for myself along with my financial goals. I think that these two things go hand in hand for me. I mean I know that you dont exactly have to have one to have the other. But when you think about your overall well being and happiness in life, this statement might make sense to you. I have also heard and read about others agreeing with this statement. I believe Chef Gordan Ramsey said in one of his TV shows something along the lines of "You fat Donkey-Lose some weight and you might have some success with your restaurant." Lol -- He did not say this exactly, but something to that effect.
I had always been in shape, active, and at the gym on a daily basis. I was single then -lol! However, in 2006 my son Ryan came along and I couldnt find as much time or desire to go to the gym. Plus, some say that during a pregnancy the man tends to gain some weight too. Eventually, I let my gym membership go to save more money. Well with these things combined, I put on some pounds. I am about six foot tall and I used to weigh about 165 when I graduated from high school in 1992. In 2005, I probably weighed about 195. At the end of 2007 I decided it was time to lose some weight. I had ballooned to a high of 229 pounds and allot of muscle had turned to fat. Right before that Christmas I decided enough was enough. I wanted to cut fast food out, eat healthier( vegetables and fruit had become obscure in my diet), drink less soft drinks, and to start exercising again. Guess what, I lost around twenty pounds! I drifted down to as low as 199! I watched The Biggest Loser, the Health Channel, and a BBC show You Are What You Eat for motivation. Lots of people noticed too which was great for my confidence. The only problem was that I needed a gym to feel motivated to work out. I know you can work out at home and I had tried. Joining a gym was the best option for me, so in June of 2008 my girlfriend and I joined a new gym chain around here called The Rush. Btw- they have free child care and my son loves going there(thats a free plug for them). I have been at it ever since and am maintaining at 205 pounds. My main goal is to lower my body fat percentage and if I lower my weight- well that would be great too--actually I think I look better around 190 or 195, so maybe I would like to lose more pounds. My body fat in June was at 21% and two months later I had dropped it to 19.6%. I rarely eat fast food and we very rarely dine out. Salads, vegetables, and fruit have become a part of my diet again. I eat allot of chicken and have cut red meat out a lot. I still have a ways to go, but I am determined to stick with it. If you have fitness goals ,you can change your life and live a longer happier life!

No comments:

Post a Comment